Open Letter to My Landlord #7
You have the ear of the governor, who constantly refers to you as a "stakeholder," while she never refers to us renters like that. The only stakes we hold, it seems, are the kind we can hammer into the ground to keep the tent from blowing away.
- 1 in 15 people in the US currently has an active, contagious, coronavirus infection
- over a quarter of a million people in the US have now died, overall
- 1 in every 1,000 Black people in the US has died of the coronavirus
- in the time before the CDC's eviction moratorium went into effect, hundreds of thousands of evictions took place in states without their own moratoriums, which have now resulted in at least 10,000 more deaths from Covid-19
- among professional artists like me -- which includes some of your other tenants, and many of your former tenants who you long ago priced out of the city -- 65% are fully unemployed, and 95% have lost income